Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Coming Soon: 11/2/12

Happy Halloween!  I'm writing this on Halloween day and I hope everyone is safe and has a lot of fun.  Halloween is one of my favorite times of the year.  I think deep down everyone loves a good scare now and again.  So long as it's all in good fun.  Before I start looking at movies coming out this Friday and what movies I'm looking forward to seeing in November, let me first address the cinematic elephant in the room: Disney making a new Star Wars sequel trilogy.  I plan on doing an article on this soon.  If you want a little preview, I am not in favor of it.  Okay, before I go into free floating hostility, here's what we can look forward to this week.

1) WRECK-IT RALPH: A video game villan decides he doesn't want to be the bad guy anymore and goes on a journey through other arcade games in an effort to save the video world.

The Good:  It pays homage to the video games of our youth while also looking into the ideas of redemption and what it means to be a hero.

The Bad: It's Disney.  They can't help themselves when it comes to making things too cutsey.  Plus, Dreamworks did this story already with Megamind.

Final Thoughts: For as much as I want to see it, I also am dreading it.  It looks like a great geeky/nostalgic movie but part of me expects a rehashed cash grab movie.  I hope it's good.

2) FLIGHT: A pilot makes a daring rescue when his plane starts to crash.  But then his livelyhood and his freedom are put in jeopardy when it's reported that he was drinking the night before.

The Good: For those that remember "Sully" Sullenburger and the heroism he showed, this is a dramatized take on that.

The Bad: I'm not sure where they are going with this.  Is this some kind of commentary on sensationalized media?

Final Thoughts: It's Denzel doing what he does best.  I'm thinking this is going to be a great movie.  It just has me a little confused on the overall message.

3) THE MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS: A village blacksmith is forced into making horrible weapons.  When war breaks out, a stranger harnesses an ancient energy to become a super hero.

The Good: It has a lot of elements from traditional kung fu movies while adding some modern ideas.

The Bad: It's a schlockfest.  You'll have to appreciate it for how cheesy it is.

Final Thoughts: Where's my ticket?  I will be seeing this as soon as I can.

See you at the movies

No comments:

Post a Comment