Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

Movies I want to see: July

I saw some very good movies this month.  Abraham Lincoln - Vampire Hunter while won't win any awards, sure was a lot of fun to watch.  I've also seen some very disappointing movies like Prometheus.  Prometheus really is one of those movies that the more I think about it, the less it holds up.  It really isn't that memorable anyway and I was in a discussion about it with my friend and the theories floating around about the meaning behind the movie are just sad.  Basically the message of Prometheus is that we don't matter.  I might get into these philosophical discussions in other articles but right now we need to look into the future and see what I think is worth watching next month.

1) THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN: Yeah it's another comic book movie and I really show my geek colors every time I choose movies like this, but honestly, a reboot is desperately needed for Spiderman.  The success of the Avengers and other Marvel movies aside, Spiderman is the poster child of Marvel comics and Spiderman 2 and 3 were beyond a disappointment.  It'll be interesting to see what they do with our friendly neighborhood webslinger.

2) SAVAGES: Initially I was a little leery of this movie.  But the more I see the previews for this movie, the more I am starting to come around.  It's all about drugs and the drug lifestyle.  In perticular marijuana.  There's a lot of discussion about legalization of marijuana and the "drug war" in general so it is important to explore what it is people seem so urgently trying to either fight or support.  If nothing else, it should spark some conversation.

3) RED LIGHTS:  It's all about paranormal phenomena and the debunkers who don't believe.  I personally don't believe in mediums, psychics, ghosts, or whatever.  I'm a Christian but I've yet to see anyone other than con men and stage performers say they were "psychic."  This is a psychological thriller playing with the idea of what if this one guy was the real deal?  And what if he isn't?  Again it's something to inspire conversation.

4) THE DARK KNIGHT RISES: Other than the Avengers, I've never seen a movie with more hype and higher expectations.  Will it live up to The Dark Knight?  I'm not sure.  I'm expecting a great movie to finish off this Batman Trilogy.

5) THE WATCH: I'm loving the previews and this looks like one of those Ben Stiller movies with a lot of talent and some very amusing ideas.  That's when Ben Stiller is at his best.  Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn together again in a movie written by Seth Rogan.  Throw in a promising young talent in Jonah Hill?  I'm in.  The only way this could be better would be to add in the guys from Flight of the Conchords.

See you at the movies

No comments:

Post a Comment