Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Coming Soon: 5/18/12

Will anything knock off the Avengers?  1 BILLION dollars already?  Just wow.  I guarantee there's nothing coming out that will match that until July.  If even then.  So, let's see what is coming out this week.

1) BATTLESHIP: Aliens invade and the Navy has to beat them.

The Good: You've got to be kidding me.  There's nothing good about any of this.

The Bad: It's starring one of my least favorite actors (Liam Neeson), it's based on a board game so lacking in plot it literally is two armies blowing each other up, the aliens look like rejected models from the Transformers movies, the run time is over 2 hours, and from what I'm hearing from friends in Europe they don't say the iconic "You sank my battleship!" line from the game's commercials.

Final Thoughts: Much like people slow down to see a car wreck, I want to see this movie.  Just wait for the angry ranting that is to come.

2) THE DICTATOR: The story of a fictional North African dictator fighting against democratic uprisings in his country.

The Good: If you liked Borat and Bruno, I see no reason you won't like this one.

The Bad: I hated Borat and Bruno.  I see no reason I personally would like this one.

Final Thoughts: It's in no way different than Borat.  It's a foreign guy and he acts weird.  And it's funny.  Bruno had a talking penis.  I have no interest in seeing how far Sacha Baren Cohen can push the limits of bad taste.

3) WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU'RE EXPECTING: Several couples have their lives turned upside down with the coming of a baby.

The Good: Brilliant women actresses in a very nice comedy.

The Bad: It's four different stories with a single theme but nothing to really tie them all together.  It's more a sketch compilation than a movie.

Final Thoughts: I think this one isn't going to be really good, but I don't think it'll be that bad either.  I'd wait for a rental but wouldn't pass on it either.  I saw Anna Kendrick in 50/50 and Scott Pilgrim and she's winning me over.

4) THE SAMARITAN: A guy gets out of prison after 25 years and wants to go clean.  But finds that going clean isn't as easy as expected.

The Good: The story sounds interesting.  It has a great leading man.

The Bad: The rest of the cast isn't as strong as it should be.  Plus, it's hard to tell if this is a revenge movie or a drama.

Final Thoughts: Wait for the rental bin.

See you at the movies

No comments:

Post a Comment