Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Avengers Review: Hulk Smash Hit

Probably one of the most anticipated movie in recent memory and it didn't disappoint.  It's a good thing too.  I've never seen a marketing strategy quite like this before.  It all started a few years ago when the first Iron Man movie came out, and then it was Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America.  Each of these movies had their own level of success. (I didn't perticularly like Thor all that much)(Loved Captain America)  Each of these movies were made for two purposes: 1) to introduce the characters involved in the team and 2) lead to the inevitable team up where they all fight a common enemy.  Could you imagine watching this movie with so many memorable characters and not giving them enough build?  These characters are way too complex that really this was how to do it. 

This is a comic book movie.  So, when it comes to comic books, I expect it to have really great action and some great one-liners.  Avengers gives you that.  I'm very impressed with how the action was shot.  BIG bonus for not having too much close up and VERY little shaky cam.  I can't express how much better the action is when I can actually see what is happening.  When I watch a movie like Ghost Rider 2, and I can't see the action, I want to grab an asprin and take a nap.  In other words: I HATE SHAKY CAM!  And Avengers didn't have shaky cam.

I'm also very thankful to all the great humor in this movie.  It never felt forced and it was clean humor.  It's so different than, say, Transformers.  Where every joke in that movie made me feel dirty and uncomfortable, Avengers gave a lot of witty jabs and some wonderful sight gags.  Can't say much more without spoiling those so I will move on.

The story was simple.  Loki wants to conquer our world because he was kicked out of his.  He found help from a group of skeleton like warriors and their flying skeleton fish.  The Avengers are a group of superheroes with strong personalities that are forced to team up and fight Loki. 

The best thing I can say is that they had a simple story and they didn't screw it up.  I get so ticked off when movies screw with the most basic elements of storytelling.  If a movie shows effort and doesn't make stupid mistakes, that's all I ask for and I don't think it's asking too much.

Go see Avengers if you haven't already.  It's well worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment