Pages

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Top 10 Best movies of 2011 (That I saw)

Since I've given my opinion on the worst movies I saw this year, I will now share the movies I really enjoyed.  Believe it or not, I saw a lot of really good movies.  Many I enjoyed mostly because of how campy they were.  Again, I obviously don't have the time, money, or the ability to go see every movie made this year, so I will instead focus on the movies I did go see.  So, again there will probably be some movies I don't mention because I might not have watched it.  To honor some movies I probably would've liked had I saw them, I'll have a list of honorable mentions.  I hope to see them at some point, but I just didn't get around to it for various reasons.  Without any further delay:

10) Paranormal Activity 3

This was a really scary movie.  This is a "lost footage" movie done well.  It's not going to win any converts, but if you want an example of how a low budget movie can be done for maximum effect, it's the Paranormal Activity series.  Paranormal Activity 3 I felt wasn't as strong as the second one but it still was able to find creative and fun ways to scare the audience to death.  It's heavy on atmosphere and gets you breathing hard without much effort.  It's beautiful in it's simplicity.  Give it a shot.

9) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

As a stand alone movie it's not very satisfying but it's not meant to be a stand alone movie.  This is the epic conclusion to a grand saga stretching out over seven other movies.  If you aren't a fan of this series you have no business watching the movie.  But for those that watched from the beginning, this was the ending you wanted.  A lot of action and a lot of emotion coupled with a grand adventure.  Just a great conclusion to a great series.

8) X-Men: First Class

Other than probably being mis-titled, this movie had very few flaws worth pointing out.  But I will say this: I'm not sure who the protagonist of this story is supposed to be.  While it's easy to say that Charles Xavier is the moral high ground, much of the story is around Magnito.  This is his story.  We spend far more time developing his character and why he made the choices he did.  And in the end we get a truely ambiguous/bitter sweet ending.  That's what made me like this movie so much.  It didn't preach, it mearly showed and let the audience decide for themselves.  Would you follow the high ideals of Prof. X despite the betrayals and constant prejudice of the human race, or become militant and distrustful along with Magnito?  There isn't a definitive answer.  It's a super hero movie and it takes itself just serious enough to be a great new beginning.

7) Paul

I honestly don't know what it is I like about this movie.  Maybe I just relate to the two vacationing nerds looking to have some kind of alien/sci-fi adventure traveling to all these spooky, known alien hotspots and telling scary stories.  It sounds like a lot of fun.  But then they meet a real alien: Paul.  And his very presence starts challenging the way we think about life, religion, and our place in the universe... and then we see a very crude, potty mouthed alien who talks like he's had one beer too many.  It's a buddy road trip movie with lots of nods to sci-fi geeks right down to a cameo by Sigorney Weaver!  And best of all, it's funny! 

6) Adventures of Tintin

This is an old fashioned adventure/treasure hunt.  It's fun and full of colorful characters bound to entertain.  The action is quick, the humor is spot on, and the story unfolds in a very satifying way.  This movie has everything: the highly intelligent lovable dog, the grizzly old sea captain, the plucky news man, pirates, motorcycle chases, gun fights, crime, murder, shadowy figures, and even a little opera.  I had a great time seeing it, and I hope you do as well.

5) Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows

In my top 10 worst list I mentioned Mission Impossible and Season of the Witch as examples of movies that had a great idea, and then chose to be stupid.  Here is what I mean by a dumb action movie that can also be intelligent.  I loved this movie.  The banter between Holmes and Watson really carried it.  There were things about it I didn't like, sure.  But, what made me really love this movie was the inclusion of Moriarty.  He is just an awesome villian.  Suave, charming, intelligent, and if you cross him, he will end you.  The way we are introduced to him is such a chilling moment and highlights just how dangerous this guy can be.  The perfect foil for the world's greatest detective.

4) Captain America: The First Avenger

Great comic book movies are such a rare breed.  But this one is just phenominal.  Everything about this movie just clicked in the right way.  The music, the acting, the scenery... everything was just perfect.  What I especially loved was how they came to explain the goofy costume and the shield.  They completely rewrote the back story but did so in a very credible way.  And Captain America actually acts like a real hero.  I know he has super strength and all that, but it's very clear the strength of his character is what makes him a hero.  That inspires all the other characters in the movie and gives us the audience someone to pull for and sympathize with.  I laughed, I cheered, and I cried.  It was exactly the kind of comic book movie we need.

3) Source Code

The goal of any good science fiction story is to challenge our perceptions and inspire us to think about things in an entirely different way.  This movie does that and then some.  It's all about the nature of time and the inner workings of the human mind.  It's about how we face death and what could lie beyond.  It's about how far we as a society would go to save lives and keep our country safe.  It's about how we should seize the day for who knows what will happen tomorrow.  There's so much to talk about with this movie and it's hard to keep the summary short.  It's a facinating movie and well worth your time.

2) Rise of the Planet of the Apes

While I certainly understand why people reject this movie for being a needless prequel devoid of the surprise twist in the original Planet of the Apes, I think this one had a lot more to offer than a 'twilight zone' type twist ending.  Andy Serkis brought so much life to Caesar the monkey.  A character we see go through the best of times and the worst of times until his inevitable rise to leadership of the simian race.  I agree that this was a movie that didn't necessarily need to be made to enhance the original, I'm still glad they did.  It's a cautionary tale of man messing in matters we just aren't equipped to handle.  It's about growing up and finding our own place in the world.  It's impactful, it's emotional, and it's a great watch.

1) Contagion

If this movie doesn't win some kind of award, there is no justice.  This is a movie without much of an agenda.  This isn't a cautionary tale about how we live.  This isn't trying to tell you what we as a society need to do differently.  In fact, it's saying the exact opposite.  There isn't anything we can do.  Things are going to happen.  People are going to die.  There are 'superbugs' out there waiting to cause the next global pandemic and really there isn't anything anyone can do to prevent it.  The entire movie felt less like a movie and more like a future dramatized documentary.  As if these events happened sometime in the past and this was what it's like.  Other than a few minor points, nothing in this movie felt forced or artificial.  It's very restrained and somber.  I've talked with several people who became somewhat germophobic after seeing this movie.  Is there no higher praise for a great horror movie?  And yes I consider this to be a horror movie.  It's real people reacting in logical ways to a very real threat.  And watching just how easily human society can break down scares the hell out of me. 

Honorable Mentions:

The Company Men, From Prada to Nada, Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2, Hanna, Water for Elephants, Bridesmaids, Kung Fu Panda 2, Fright Night, Larry Crowne, The Help, Straw Dogs, Creature, Machine Gun Preacher, Hugo, The Muppets, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

No comments:

Post a Comment