Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Coming Soon: 12/21/11

Hello and Merry Christmas everyone.  Let's see what's coming out just before the holiday season.

1) The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo: A strange story of control, sexual assault, and manipulation

The Good: A psychological thriller directed by David Fincher.  It's going to be awesome.

The Bad: It's just me but rape isn't a topic I like in my movies.

Final Thoughts: My discomfort aside, it's a powerful story told with the dark tone such things deserve.  It'll be a big hit.

2) The Adventures of Tintin: A young reporter buys a model ship that leads to a great treasure hunt.

The Good: It's funny, well directed, and has Andy Serkis doing what he does best.

The Bad: nothing.  I've seen it. It's a great movie.

Final Thoughts: I loved this movie.  Go see it.

3) Albert Nobbs: A story of a woman forced to live as a man in the 19th century.

The Good: Glenn Close not only stars in this movie but also is one of the writers.  It'll be tailor made for her.

The Bad: I don't see a whole lot of story here. 

Final Thoughts: It'll be well acted, it will be dramatic, and for many I can see it being very boring.

4) The Flowers of War: An American tries to hide from the Japanese army in Nanking in 1937.

The Good: World War II stories are usually very intense.  Told well they are great movies.

The Bad: I saw this movie before.  It was called Shanghai.  It's almost the exact same story.

Final Thoughts: Instead of John Cusack we get Christian Bale.  I'm not sure Christian Bale is the correct guy to use when talking about the "Rape of Nanking".  I'd skip this one.

5) We Bought A Zoo: The story of a father who buys a zoo and restores it.

The Good: A great cast coupled with a moving true story.

The Bad: It's really hard to be excited about a story like this.

Final Thoughts: It might be good.  But I can definately see people falling asleep during the movie.

See you at the movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment