Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Coming Soon: 4/27/12

There were way too many romance movies last week.  None really interested me.  There was one I was thinking about seeing, but I just had too much to do this week.  For instance, I GOT A PUPPY!  He's a black lab puppy and he's a handful.  He needs constant attention.  Anyway, what's coming out?

1) THE RAVEN: A serial killer is inspired by the poems of Edgar Allen Poe so detectives enlist Poe to help catch the murderer.

The Good: This movie is really goofy.  And with John Cusack in it, I think it might be a lot of fun.

The Bad: Doesn't this story sound familiar?  Like done to death familiar?

Final Thoughts: I want to see it.  But if this movie takes itself too seriously, then it's doomed to fail.

2) SAFE: A former cage fighter has his family murdered and then befriends a 12 year old girl.

The Good: It's Jason Statham kicking butt and doing lots of martial arts.

The Bad: Is this really a coherant story?  It sounds like two stories stuck together.

Final Thoughts: I want to see it.  I like Jason Statham movies.  But my patience is running thin.  He's done way too many bad movies lately.

3) THE FIVE-YEAR ENGAGEMENT: The story of a couple dealing with all the stress of planning a wedding.

The Good: It's supposed to answer the question of what happens once the romance part of the relationship is over.

The Bad: Everything about this movie screams contrived scenes and forced comedy.

Final Thoughts: Probably won't see it unless someone pays me.

4) PIRATES! BAND OF MISFITS: A pirate captain named Pirate Captain (I think) wants to beat his rivals and win the coveted Pirate of the Year award.

The Good: This is going to be THE kid movie.  There's a lot of crazy fun with colorful characters.

The Bad: I'm not a big fan of claymation.  But that's more of a personal quirk more than anything.

Final Thoughts: If you were going to see a guaranteed enjoyable movie this week, it's probably going to be this one.

5) BERNIE: A popular/charming man befriends the crankiest/richest woman in town.  Up until he is accused of murdering her.

The Good: As dark comedies go, this one sounds very interesting.

The Bad: When was the last time Jack Black was the leading man in a good movie?

Final Thoughts: I'd be willing to give this one a chance.  But man I'm cautious about this one.

See you at the movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment