Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

Haywire Review: Hay...*yawn*

Ladies and Gentlemen, I feel suckered. I really thought this was going to be a great movie. I mean, how could it go wrong? The director is Steven Soderbergh. The guy who directed Contagion and Ocean's Eleven. And then add a cast with Antonio Bandaras, Michael Douglas, Ewan McGregor, Channing Tatum, and Michael Fassbender! How could this be bad?

How could it be this BORING!

Oh let me count the ways. Gina Carano, for all her excellent fighting ability, couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. She just had no personality in this movie. And when she's the lead actress, that's a BIG problem. With all the acting talent associated with this movie, they play just bit parts, never getting more than a few minutes at a time.

AND THE SCRIPT!

Jesus Christ, God of everything good and holy. I said this back in my review of The Debt: if you're going to do a flashback, do it properly! And God! Why did that flashback have to go on for an hour! It's so frustrating waiting for the movie to catch up with the audience. And I never knew what was happening until the last 5 minutes of the movie! I checked my watch. It didn't even bother trying to summarize this insane, rambling, bumbling mess of a movie until the last 5-10 minutes!

The fight scenes just started to run together. They all looked the same. They looked like a professional fighter kicking the a** of hollywood actors. Which is exactly what it was. The camera work during the fight scenes was just boring. Sometimes it was too close to see what's happening. Other times it just radically shifted for no reason. There wasn't any music to go along with it. Everything about it just screamed boring. And most of the time Gina Carano just won handily.

The characterization was just laughably bad. One guy was literally labeled Bad Guy #1. There's only two characters I remember: Mallory Kane (Gina Carano) and Kenneth (Ewan McGregor I think). I don't know who Antonio Bandaras was, I don't know who Michael Douglas played... How am I supposed to care about any of this if I don't know what is going on or even who it's happening to?

All I can say is it's just boring. Boring, boring boring. The fights aren't any fun, the acting is bad, the story is unfollowable, and it's WAY too long. I really thought this was going to be good. I feel lied to.


No comments:

Post a Comment