Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

Coming Soon: 3/8/13

Ever have that feeling like you just can't catch a break?  This week I caught a cold, and then my computer died on me.  Well, I'm feeling fine now and my computer is working so here is what is coming out today.

1) OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL: A prequel to the classic movie The Wizard of Oz.

The Good: It's a good cast and hopefully a good addition to the old Judy Garland movie.

The Bad: It looks to rely more on computer effects to establish setting more than genuine atmosphere.

Final Thoughts: The original 1939 movie had purpose behind it.  Dorothy in Oz was also a trip through her own mind. The Wizard of Oz was just as much a musical as it was a standard movie.  The sequel Return to Oz, while more faithful to the source material, was a much darker type story and one not many were accustomed to.  Everyone my age has seen The Wizard of Oz at least once and I can't imagine many people asking for a prequel to a movie made over 70 years ago.  I'm planning to see it, but I'm going in with guarded optimism.

2) DEAD MAN DOWN: Two strangers find love as they both search for revenge.

The Good: Director Niels Arden Oplev and Noomi Rapace just killed it in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy in Sweden. 

The Bad: It's being promoted by the WWE.  Not exactly a mark of quality.

Final Thoughts: WWE studios has yet to make a movie worth the celluloid it's printed on but then again I think Noomi Rapace is a brilliant actress and Oplev is a gifted director.  My needle is leaning towards the 'go see it' but only slightly.

See you at the movies

No comments:

Post a Comment