Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Horrible Bosses review: Would you work for Yosemite Sam?

Again I feel like an old man for saying this: There's too much sex in comedy.  I'm nto kidding, the first joke of the movie was a masturbation joke.  I don't mind sexual humor but can we tone it down a little?

Overall, I thought this was an average movie.  Yes, there were some funy parts, but again so much of the movie was not needed if there was even a little bit of logic thrown in.  Yes, it can still be a farsical comedy with logic.  I can't go into much detail without spoiling the movie, but yes if I were writing this movie, I could've cut off the last half hour of the movie. 

I can share this one example:  They made a reference to Strangers On a Train.  An Alfred Hitchcock movie where two people meet on a train one day and agree to kill each other's wife.  That way the police couldn't connect the murders.  HERE'S THE PROBLEM!  These three guys are friends already.  They didn't just meet in a bar one day.  It's clear they've been friends for years.  It's not the same. 

Another problem was just how cartoonish the bosses were.  I know they were supposed to be.  They were supposed to be the most one dimentional evil people possible.  We aren't supposed to get to know them or like them in any way.  But that's why I don't have any emotional investment in the movie.  The villians are way too evil.  There's nothing good about any of them.  But these three guys are the only ones plotting murder?  The other employees aren't complaining?  They don't organize some sort of strike?  Just saying.  Jumping straight to murder is a bit harsh.  I felt a few steps were missing.

As usual, Kevin Spacey is amazing.  Jennifer Aniston however was insufferable.  Her performance was painful.  When did she have time to clean teeth if she was such a raging whore?  All she ever talked about was sex.  It's clear she was only hired for the movie because of how she looked.  Everything was sexual.  Every time she was on screen it was sexual.  This is what I mean by one note characters.  The same stuff on a different scene gets boring unless you have an amazing actor like Kevin Spacey.

It's a good watch.  I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped but it's funny.  That's all anyone can really expect from a comedy.  Go see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment