Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Coming Soon: 9/23/11

Time again to take a look at what will be in theaters this weekend.  While last week had some good ones, what will we see coming out this week?  Surprisingly, a good number of true story movies coming out this week so let's take a look.

1) Abduction: A kid realizes he was the victim of an abduction and his parents aren't his real parents.  But finding his real parents might unveil an even darker secret.

The Good: It's.... uhm.... yeah....

The Bad: From the trailers, I see that the acting sucks.  Also, the story is overblown at best and drivel at worst. 

Final Thoughts: Taylor Lautner has no business being a leading man.  I realize he has a female following because he took his shirt off a lot in Twilight, but he is a terrible actor.  The talents of Sigorney Weaver and Alfred Molina are wasted in movies like this.  Go see it to see beautiful people try to be gritty.  Yeah.  Even I can't say that with a straight face.

2) Moneyball: Based on the true story of Billy Beane and his bargin bin approach to building a baseball team that changed the game forever.

The Good: True stories of overcoming adversity are just awesome.  Plus, I love baseball so I already want to go see it.

The Bad: It's a sports movie mixed with the 'ultra glamorous world of a corporate office'.  Brad Pitt is playing Billy Beane?  wow.

Final Thoughts: This one I'm biased.  I love true stories and I love baseball.  If you don't, then there's no reason to see this movie.  I'm also interested because I remember the Oakland A's taking a rag tag team and making baseball history.  But does all the credit go to Beane?  It'll be interesting to see how much credit they give to Ken Macha or the Big Three: Mark Mulder, Barry Zito, and Tim Hudson.  We'll see.

3) Killer Elite:  True story of special ops agents doing what they do.

The Good: Jason Statham, Robert DeNiro, and Clive Owen in an action movie.  Do I need to say more?

The Bad: Expect something to follow the hollywood action formula.

Final Thoughts: It should be good.  Jason Statham doing what he does best.  If you liked The Bank Job, this should be your movie.

4) Dolphin Tale: True story of a dolphin that had her tail cut off and the struggle to live with a prosthetic tail.

The Good:  Should be a fairly good family movie.  Who doesn't love dolphins?

The Bad: Probably going to be a bit sappy.  Lots of tug at your heart moments.

Final Thoughts: Give it a watch.  This one seems harmless enough and it just might make you feel something.

5) Red State: Evil preacher in the backwoods being evil because he's evil.  Seriously.  Look at the trailer for yourself and try to figure out what is going on.  I can't.

The Good:  Should be fairly scary.  Trailer looked creepy anyway.

The Bad: I can't begin to describe how uninterested I am.  Stereotypes don't impress me.  It's just lazy writing.

Final Thoughts: It's ugly, violent, and exists only to make people angry.  Some people call it 'provocative' but that just means purposefully makes people angry.  I don't have any desire to be preached to when I watch a movie.  The good news is that it's expected to have a limited theatrical release and comes out on DVD in October.  It's safe to skip it and rent it for cheaper.

See you at the movies

No comments:

Post a Comment