Pages

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Top Five Best Movies I saw: 2013

Now that I've ripped this crop of movies a new one, how about I check out some of the movies that didn't want me to run screaming into the night.  Seriously, when a movie like Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters is in serious contention for my top five, that is saying something.

5) The Wolverine: Honestly, I didn't like it all that much, but it did have some elements in it that worked.  The action was well paced and Hugh Jackman as always is good as Wolverine.  It's scary how long he's played that one character.  The parts I didn't like were mostly the rushed elements and the not so subtle foreshadowing.  Overall, a good popcorn movie and sets us up for the next X-Men movie.

4) Red 2: Just a fun time.  Really, what else can I say about it?  If you liked the first one, you'll probably like this one.  Bruce Willis is funny and can still kick a little ass when he needs to.  For me, Helen Miren is the show stealer.  There's something about a grannie assassin that gives me a chuckle.  Plus she's a really good actress.

3) Iron Man 3: Again just a fun comic book movie.  I'd say they put a little too much into it.  Some of the story elements should've been saved for future sequels.  And what are you doing with the Mandarin?  My only saving thought was that they actually use the real Mandarin at some point.  If not, then this movie would drop on my list significantly.

2) 42: It's the Jackie Robinson story.  I love Jackie.  I love baseball.  I love history.  It's a totally biased opinion but hey, that's why you read.  But if I were to be honest, I'd say it's a poor imitation of The Jackie Robinson Story because if for no other reason it stars the real Jackie Robinson!  Both movies are pretty good and this one didn't hurt my feelings.  It's worth checking out.

1) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire:  I loved this movie.  The ending was a bit abrupt but it is such a great ride and I am happy to be on board.  It really touches on some very interesting ideas and never seems to overstay it's welcome.  It goes deeper into the political intrigue of the story as a whole and in doing so gives this whole world some life.  I said it before, if these movies were purely about 'the games' I don't think I would be a fan.  The Hunger Games gives the audience so much more if only we take the time to reflect upon it.  I can't wait for the conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment