Pages

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Red 2 Review: Fun Night Out

I know it's been a while since I wrote anything.  Honestly, it's because what is out in theaters is so unimpressive it's hard to be motivated to say anything about it.  But I did end up seeing Red 2 and not surprisingly, it's a fun movie.  It's a lot like the original.  In fact maybe a little too much like the original.  The first Red movie is mostly remembered for cameos by famous elderly actors.  Red notably for Ernest Borgnine shortly before his death.  This one has appearances by Catherine Zeta Jones and Anthony Hopkins.

The acting of course is great.  There's a lot of chemistry on stage with wonderful actors like John Malkovich and Bruce Willis.  Then add in Helen Mirren for a supporting role and the cute as hell Mary-Louise Parker and it all works so well.

The directing in this film is much like other action movies.  You have old guys trying to look bad ass so get the camera as close as possible and shake it around.  I have said many times how I don't like it but my voice goes unheeded.  But what particularly galls me about the close up shaky cam in Red 2 is that it spoils the work of the legitimately bad ass Byung-hun Lee.  When you have a guy like Byung-hun Lee, back the camera up and let him be awesome!  Even George Lucas knew better than to crowd Ray Park in the Phantom Menace.

While I enjoyed the movie while I was watching it, the problem is that it's also a very forgettable movie.  I remember that Bruce Willis was awesome, but I can't remember any one thing that he did that impressed me.  I remember John Malkovich was funny, but can't remember a particularly funny moment with him.  (other than the funeral scene) Catherine Zeta Jones was sexy, but there wasn't any one "sexy" moment from her.  And that's about it.  The actors did very well despite a very forgettable script. 

I'd say that makes this movie worth seeing.  It's an enjoyable movie with some really great acting by some of Hollywood's best.  Just don't expect to have a long discussion about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment